Helping Your Child Adjust to Preschool
Starting at a new school can be a daunting experience. The following are some steps you can take BEFORE school starts to help your child get ready for Robots and Mud Pies π Preschool.
- As soon as you register your child at a school, ask to bring your child for a visit one or two times before the first day of school.
- Attend story time at the library or at a book store, or sign your child up for a class through the County of Henrico Recreation and Parks (http://www.co.henrico.va.us/rec/at-your-leisure-program/). Activities like this will give your child experience in a group setting with an adult who is not his parent.
- Read to your child every day.
- Help your child become independent in daily routine activities such as hand washing, eating, drinking from a cup with no top, and using the bathroom (if already potty trained.)
- Take your child outside to play often so he can learn to love outdoor play. We will be playing outside every day!!!
6. Help your child get into a good routine for the day and night. Eating at regular times and getting enough sleep help children stay healthy and happy. Being healthy and happy makes it easier to adjust to new situations.
7. Read the Parent Handbook and other information on the Robots and Mud Pies π Preschool website. The more you know about our preschool program, the more comfortable you will feel and this will help your child feel comfortable too.
8. Complete all paperwork, including the “Getting to Know Your Child” form so her teachers know more about her likes and dislikes. Hand these in before school starts.
9. Attend the Open House in August and have your child attend the Phase-in Visits the week before school starts.
10. Be sure to read the “Separation Anxiety” and “Adjusting to Preschool” portions of the Parent Handbook.
The following are some articles that you may find helpful:
“Preschool Prep: How to Prepare Your Toddler for Preschool”
“Helping Your Child Adjust to Preschool” http://kidshealth.org/parent/positive/learning/adjust_to_preschool.html#
“How to Prepare Your Child for Preschool”
©2013 Robots and Mud Pies π Preschool